Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Douglas Gresham

Thanks to Phil Swingle I had the opportunity on Monday to listen to and actually ask questions of C.S. Lewis' stepson, Douglas Gresham. We went to the Cerritos Library to hear him speak and were surprised that only about 25 people showed up. The small crowd allowed us to sit up close and turned things into a question and answer time.

He must be in his mid-60's, gray and very British. I was completely impressed with his presence, his intellect, his wit, and the deep faith in Christ that seemed to permeate his every response. He reminded me, in stature and voice, of Obi-Wan Kenobi ("Search your feelings, Jacksie").

Here are some quotes from him:

Regarding his coming to faith in Christ:
"I didn't truly become a Christian until I figured out that I wasn't qualified to run a human life...it was then that I surrendered."

Regarding the upcoming film, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, of which he had just seen a final print:
"It is so powerful and wonderful I cannot even believe it...it is an astonishing film, exceeding even my greatest hopes."

In response to a question about "Christian" movies:
"We don't need more people making Christian movies, we need more Christians making good movies."

On books:
"The great literature in our world survives because it has in it the truth."

Anyway, I was already excited to see the film and, after hearing him wax eloquent about it, am even more intrigued.

Oh yeah, Gresham also referred to something as "bollocks." Classic.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

that's awesome man. you're gonna make me cry that I wasn't there. I'm glad you got to experience time with him. of course you know, he's expressing some very "Anglican" sentiments when he talks about art. wink.