Sunday, March 29, 2009

Losing My Religion

Many posts ago I think I included a link to an article written by the religion writer for the L.A. Times, William Lobdell. It was a farewell piece in which he spoke eloquently about how he lost his faith while covering religion for the paper.

He's expanded his story and put it into book form. A friend from church passed the book on to me and I read it in a day and a half.

I'm not sure it was the best thing for me to be reading right now, as it feeds into some doubts and fears of my own, but his story is very compelling, very difficult to put down, especially for fellow southern Californians.

He speaks of Mariner's Church in Irvine, Rev. John Huffman (a fellow pastor in my presbytery), and Dr. Bill Creasy (a former UCLA professor who teaches a bible class at our church every Tuesday).

I appreciate Lobdell's story, especially the honest and fair way in which he tells it. Read about the book here and if you'd like to borrow it and have a conversation about it let me know.

6 comments:

Diane Davis said...

this looks like a great read. i wish i lived close and could borrow it and then discuss it over a good beer! btw... you'll be happy to know i put down the twilight books and picked up gilead. so far, so good.

paul thomas said...

I've been meaning to ask you about Gilead. Well done. Next time you're down south or we're up north, you, Jen and I will need to get together. We can put these two books on the agenda.

Mom said...

I'd like to read the book. Is he speaking of losing his faith (belief in God) or his "religion"?

Christopher said...

Looks like an interesting book Pablo! And I love the cover image (snuff, there goes my little candle). Heck, I probably could have written it in college (though I'm sure not as well).

The first chapter of his book says it all: the classic evangelical, just join us and we'll fill that hole for you. Yeah, right.

I'm no huge fan of Karl Barth, but this is an issue where he is perhaps helpful: God's yes is a big NO to human religion. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

paul thomas said...

Mom, yes he's speaking about losing his faith/belief.

Chris, I like Barth's YES in this situation too. Lobdell's main issue--as I see it--was confusing religion/church/institution with God.

But, then, that's easy to do for someone who was as close to it as he was. This is something I get hung up on too at times.

Diane Davis said...

when you said we should get together and put these two books on the agenda, were you referring to twilight? ;)

i'm so enjoying gilead...