Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cleanse - Day 28


In 1986 I was a fourteen year old pulling with all my might for the Angels against the Red Sox. I remember watching with horror as Donnie Moore blew the save with the Halos only one strike away from their first World Series trip. I remember saying to myself that it was over--even though the Angels were still up in the series 3-2. A team doesn't recover from that kind of blow. Sure enough, the Red Sox went on to easy wins in games 6 & 7 and the Angels went home.

I remember the bitter rivalry of the Lakers with the Celtics, the Lakers finally breaking through against the beantowners in classic fashion in 1985, and how good it felt to watch Magic, Kareem and company beat them again in 1987.

I don't like Boston sports much.

The Angels have been particularly put upon by this east coast team, being pushed out of the playoffs in convincing fashion three times this decade. Add 2004, 2007, and 2008 to 1986 and you can understand why long-suffering Halo fans have a bit of a complex when it comes to Boston.

But all that ended today.

What an amazing, unthinkable comeback for this team. And in Boston too, in front of all those chowderhead fans. And in the most dramatic of fashions.

I will be savoring this one for a long time. I very, very seriously contemplated breaking the cleanse to enjoy a celebratory beer out on the porch but I hung tough. In all likelihood the Yankees will be next for the Angels and with any luck I'll a few opportunities to toast some more victories. I can wait.

Even if this season doesn't end up with a World Series win, it's been a great year to be an Angels fan.

I'm still pulling for a "Freeway" series against the Dodgers--man, would that energize the southland! Plus, with MLB insisting on playing baseball into November now, Southern California is the only sensible climate left among the teams remaining.

But right now I don't care about any of that. I'm just thinking of Ben Affleck crying in his green beer. I realize I should not take joy in other fans disappointment, but I'm allowing myself one day to do so.

Feels good.

No comments: