Saturday, December 12, 2009

Ambiguity


If the album has an overriding theme, it is the acceptance of life's uncertainties. "I think there's a liberating nature to that concept," says Tweedy. "It allows for a playfulness and an engagement in life that is more enjoyable than the alternative. I've aspired to convey some of those things for a long time now, maybe not so clearly before because it hasn't been so clear to me. But I do believe that the greater ability you have to tolerate ambiguity, the more successfully you can steer your life. The alternative point of view – the complete dismissal of ambiguity, trying to rationalise irrationality – can be very destructive."

(From an interview with Jeff Tweedy of Wilco, in The Independent)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm obviously clueless here, but what is the name of the album?

paul thomas said...

The album is called: Wilco (the album) and was released this past June.

I love it--but then I've loved each of their albums with the possible exception of their first, A.M.

Christopher said...

I'm shooting for some ground inbetween a rationalist like Robert George and an artist like Jeff Tweedy. Aristotle's golden mean seems to apply here: we have to inhabit the twin poles of humility and certainty in the same manner as the apostle Paul. He had full confidence in the little he knew, but still maintained that he saw only in part.

paul thomas said...

Agreed, Mr. Stratton. But I find I am often more like the artist than my namesake.

Anonymous said...

Well, the good news is that you're in good company. Check out the often passed over line "but some doubted" in Matthew 28:17. Or the entire book of Job (esp. 42:7).

Thank God for the Bible. If we didn't have all these stories about people struggling and doubting, we'd just have pie in the sky. One could preach a whole sermon series on the great doubters.

---c