Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cleanse - Day 17


I missed blogging for a day but not to fear, faithful readers, I have not fallen off the wagon. Just some busy days at work that are leaving me exhausted and without much to say at the end of the day.

Who likes pizza? Yeah, me too. A lot. We had a party tonight at church for a departing pastor and there were about 700 Costco pizzas and some salad available to eat. Guess what I had? Yep, and a wheat bagel with honey.

I miss me some cheese.

*********************************

Earlier today I had the privilege of officiating at the memorial service for a wonderful grandmother from the community. Typically I really enjoy funerals. That may sound weird, but I like hearing the stories of people's lives. For instance, today I found out that Joyce had a "psycho cat" (her son's terminology) named Bootsy, lived down the street from our old house in Lakewood (I probably ran by her house all the time and didn't realize it), loved to read popular novels, used to visit Del Mar once a year with her girlfriends to play the ponies, and favored Manhattans when ordering a drink.

When it is someone who has lived a long and full life, I love getting together with a family to remember and celebrate and honor that life. It's an honor to listen to each person's story and try to weave the larger story of God into that occasion.

On the other hand, when the service is for a child or held as the result of a tragedy...man that's tough. It's a reminder that this world we live in--though so beautiful in so many ways--is still broken. There seem to be no good words in those situations. I just try to share in the grief and hope and pray that God is able to break in.

There are stories to listen to and take part in there too, and they are beautiful in their own heart-wrenching way.

But Joyce's service today was a celebration and I'm glad I got to be a part of the party.


2 comments:

Zeke Fantastic said...

Hey I am good with the funerals too (I call them Fun-erals) but I really don't like dealing with the tragedy there undoubtaly is some one that can't take the loss. BTW I will have a beer and some cheese for you tomorrow

paul thomas said...

'preciate that, Pete. Make it a double.