Thursday, October 01, 2009

Cleanse - Day 18: The Prospector


Once a month, on the first Thursday, my boyhood church friends get together for steaks and beer. We had been going to The El Dorado which is within walking distance of the new casa, but our organizer, the infamous John Fouts, directed us to a new destination further into the heart of Long Beach, The Prospector.

Nice place for us. The Prospector is on the corner of 7th and Junipero and according to their website is "one of the most interesting restaurants you'll ever go to." I don't disagree. Luis, the owner, started working at The Prospector back in 1978 in the kitchen and eventually climbed the ladder until he was able buy the place.

I don't think the decor has been changed since at least 1978, and I'll say that's a good thing. The place is the definition of kitschy (website says it's a "1849 Gold Rush theme"), but in a good way. If you look at the picture above you'll see three of my friends and a very nice velvet painting of an Indian in the background. That painting is about par for the course at The Prospector. We say under a giant mirror that designated our section of the establishment as "Cowboy Corner."

Not only is the decor and atmosphere delightful, but the food is tasty and the service is prompt. I had an ice tea (man, I wanted a beer or three with the boys), grilled, skinless chicken, and some mashed potatoes. The price is right too.

Not sure you want to head out there for date night, but for dinner and drinks with the fellas I give The Prospector an A.

No comments: